All,

This thread caused me to go back to the website and reread the social contract that Gentoo has posted. The contract lists a core set of values that the distribution keeps as a whole. I feel that Gentoo is healthy based on this regard. Of course, there are other things to factor but the values that a distro bases its actions will filter down to popularity and activity of the distro.

I have used a lot of distros and I am beginning to see each distro, each OS as a tool to get a job done. If your needs are for a roll-it-out-one-shot distro then use one of those. If you need to have a specific set of tools and services running and nothing else, then I would use Gentoo.

Gentoo's health relies on following the social contract it has posted and fulfilling the needs of its users. Whether that is 1000 users or 10,000 users is no matter. I am using three different distros in the project I am doing now. One of the central distros is Gentoo.

Regards,

Daryl