On Wednesday 20 December 2006 18:16, Mark Knecht wrote:
[SNIP]
> I understand that every package is out there in some repository on the
> web. I think Neil has pointed me toward it once or twice at least. The
> problem is for a user type like me, and yes, I'm *purely* a user type,
> it's a bit beyond my skillset today to go get it and build the overlay
> myself.

Yes, http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/ . And it contains every
ebuild (and patch) that has ever been in the tree. It really isn't that hard.

> I've mentioned this in the past but the idea has never gained
> traction. If portage is thinking about removing an ebuild from my
> machine why not just move it to some location on my machine so I've
> always got a copy of what I was running? I could build my overlay from
> what's been moved there. No pain at all. Or I can do what you suggest
> and remove it.

Portage already copies the ebuild into the vdb (/var/db/pkg/$category/$name)
when you install a package. You can copy the ebuild from there. The problem
is when it requires patches in $FILESDIR which isn't copied to the vdb.

--
Bo Andresen