On 12/20/06, Benno Schulenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
> At that point it's gone. I cannot put into an overlay
> what I don't have. Probably most frustrating has been that I
> don't know it will be removed until it's been removed.

You could, as soon as you have a system in a working state, tar up
the entire /usr/portage tree, and then, when you find an upgrade
has broken an essential package, untar the ball over your new tree,
and re-emerge the old version of the package.  Once a month or so,
when you find that also the newest tree gives you a working system,
you would tar up that /usr/portage instead and remove the old one.
This is the dead simple, brute force way, no overlay required.  :)

Benno

Yes, I think this is a simple answer. A bit difficult for 5-7 machines
if I do it separately for each, but not too bad.

If I wanted to take the plunge I should probably learn to run my own
portage server where I suppose I could learn to keep things like this
even if the main server wants to get rid of things.

The thing is that I don't want to start ignoring valid reasons to get
rid of packages, like security problems or broken code that's fixed in
new revs.

Anyway, I appreciate all the ideas and everyone's POV. I'm just
speaking from what I've seen and experienced.

Cheers and out for now,
Mark