On Saturday 06 January 2007 04:32, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 15:44, Etaoin Shrdlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Router for ssh tunnel/SOCKS proxy':
> > On Friday 5 January 2007 21:25, Mick wrote:
> > > OK.  I don't think I need to run a full VPN.  I just want to securely
> > > connect to my router at home while I am out & about using public wifi
> > > hot spots and thereby to be able to connect to the internet using my
> > > ISP for browsing & email.  The only ports I should need to forward via
> > > ssh to the router/server are those serving http/https for browsing and
> > > 110/995/143/25/587 for email.
> >
> > If I understand correctly then, you need ssh (and a public IP address)
> > running on the router.
>
> [snip: and then forward a ton of ports]
>
> Or you could forward X over the ssh tunnel, and run your web browser on
> your router. >:)

Thanks, I also thought of running FreeNX on the router, if only the router
were capable of running apps.  It seems that openwrt is not (yet?) covering
the netgear DG834.  The wireless version DG834G is shown as WIP on the
openwrt website.  I'll keep an eye on it, or one day upgrade my router.

> Finally, if your email program and browser are SOCKS aware, you could
> simply set them up to use your ssh connection as a SOCKS proxy.  There's
> specific support for this in OpenSSH, so that you don't have to open ports
> individually, it can be done dynamically on-demand.

Cool!  I'll check it out.

> > Never used it myself, but take a look at the openwrt project.
> > From what I understand, it seems that it lets you put linux into the
> > firmware of many popular routers, and manage it using a web interface.
>
> While there has been some work done on a web interface, it's not a priority
> for the core OpenWRT team.  For me, manging my router from a command
> prompt worked better anyway.

How do you set firewall rules using opewrt?  Through a script?
--
Regards,
Mick