Jan Stępień napisał(a):

> Fair enough. Firstly I'll check whether AIGLX will be working with my
> video card, and in case of failure I'll give xlaunch a shot.

I've reemerged Xorg adding "aiglx" to USE variable, modified
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (actually I've been following these instructions:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AIGLX) and tried to launch Xorg with AIGLX.
Unfortunately efforts were fruitless. Accordingly to article mentioned
above I have to enable composite in xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
        Option         "Composite"   "Enable"
EndSection

After launching X server with this setting it results in using Mesa
instead of fglrx, which means NO direct rendering, as proved by glxinfo.
Beryl cannot be launched because of lack of DRI.

If I turn composite off, the X server is driven by fglrx, which gives me
direct rendering and Beryl's refusal to start because of lack of
composite extension.

It's all quite suspicious, taking into account fact that Radeons are
listed at the website above as video cards able of running AIGLX. But
maybe only on FOSS drivers...?

Afterwards I've downloaded xlaunch. When trying to launch an app (in
this case armyops) starting xlaunch in a terminal in an existing X
server the screen blacks out, probably trying to launch new X session
and suddenly restarts GDM, meanwhile killing my original session.

I've also tried to use xlaunch in a text console having my previous X
server turned on. Results are the same.

Have you got any suggestions?

Best regards,
Jan Stępień