On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 08:58 +0100, Jan Stępień wrote:
[...]

> Is it possible to enable some kind of a chooser which would allow me to
> choose whether I'd like to launch Xgl or Xorg? While working on my
> /usr/share/gdm/default.conf I've spotted a server called 'chooser'.
> Could you tell me what is this server doing and could it be a solution
> for my problem?

A "chooser" in the GDM/XDMCP sense is a program that lists available
hosts to log into (via XDMCP).

I'm not aware of any program that will allow you to choose between X
servers any more than I'm aware of a program that will allow you to pick
MTAs.  The simplest solution is to just pick one.  Why would you want to
bounce back and forth between X servers?

> Of course the choice doesn't have to be done in GDM. It could be a tiny
> bash script or a simple C++ application run in the default runlevel
> which would ask me for pressing a specific key to run Xorg - otherwise
> it will run Xgl - for example changing the line "0=Standard" in the file
> I've mentioned above. Have you got ideas or do I have to write such an
> app by myself?
>
> Regards,
> Jan Stępień

Why should you need to write anything.  Forget GDM and if you want to
run X then type "X [ENTER]".  If you want Xgl then "Xgl [ENTER]".  But
again, why would you want to complicate your life with 2 different X
servers?