Uwe Thiem wrote:
While I agree with you in general, I still think that most noise on most mailing lists is due to bad answers, not questions. Answers tend to get triggered by keywords without the answering folks reading the whole question.

So I put up with the occasional bad question. ;-)

I've noticed in myself that I'll avoid answering questions that have been framed poorly because I know that it'll require four or five exchanges if we're lucky to get to the real problem. Additionally you might have to fix another three things along the way just to figure out what the original question is. Unfortunately I don't have the time to get in the guts of a problem, but I'm pretty good at diagnosing your issue if you have presented all the relevant facts. I imagine most of us professional admins are in the same boat.

In summary if you want busy admins (well at least this one) who may have the experience to give better answers to look at your problem and respond do your research, run a few tests, do some searching, write a nice email, and frame a specific question.

and because I'm avoiding a meeting, I point out how complciated the above really is.

Contrary to Eric Raymond's "How to Ask Intelligent Questions" it is actually very hard to ask good questions or even search about a subject you do not fully understand. Try this little exercise: Your motorcycle has choppy acceleration at speeds under 45 mph. Think of twenty things that could cause that. Now rank them the in order of most likely to least likely. Now rank them in easiest to fix to hardest. Now rank them in easiest to test for to hardest. It is unlikely that you can think up more than five root causes unless you've owned a motorcycle for a year or so. Even with a few years of experience you will be hard pressed to rank them correctly in the most likely to least likely. If you're anywhere close on the last two, you are a motorcycle mechanic and I'll be over shortly to personally fix your computer while you look at my bike.

So there we have it. Experienced users don't want to play twenty questions and inexperienced users don't know what information is relevant to the problem. Sort of a Catch22, though this is one of the better lists in all respects. However to new users more info is almost always better than less, but do try to present it with some organization.

BTW after replacing the plugs, the plug wires, the coil, cleaning the points, replacing the points with solid state, greasing the throttle wires and mechanisms, new air filter, putting in a fuel filter, new fuel lines, rebuilding the petcock from the fuel tank, carb cleaning, carb adjusting, carb rebuilding with new float needles to match the changes in specific gravity of todays fuel vs fuel in the 70s (I was getting a bit desperate around this point), changing the oil (wet transmission), and countless drills in the parking lot to increase smoothness on the throttle it was pointed out that the chain had a bit too much slack and probably needed to be replaced. $28 and one half hour later the problem was fixed.

kashani