On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:46:42 -0500, Fabio wrote:

> Well, when I started with Gentoo Linux almost a year ago, I emerged
> --sync more than twice per week. I never experimented any damage or
> error.

I have a system here that rsyncs with three other computers every hour
and the disk is still good after several years, so the traffic
from a paltry portage sync should do nothing but give the disk a
little healthy exercise.

> However, I do not advise people to do it so frequently just
> because they will not find updated versions of their favorite packages
> as often as I thought initially.

Unless they run a ~ARCH system, when packages are updated far more
frequently.

> Here is a suggestion to have painless updates:
>
> emerge --sync
> emerge --update --deep world

I would add --ask the the latter command to further reduce the chance of
pain. Replacing a week or two's worth of packages without even checking
to see whether anything important is going to be touched is asking for
trouble.

--
Neil Bothwick

Borg -- James Borg -- licensed to assimilate.