James wrote:
> blocks B      x11-drivers/ati-drivers (is blocking
> x11-base/xorg-server-1.3.0.0)

That's because none of the current ati-drivers work with xorg-server-1.3.

> One thing that I as never really comfortable with is this make.conf
> entry that I ended up using shich I gleaned from several wikis:
> VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev fglrx vesa"

This only means that the drivers for framebuffer, ati-drivers and vesa
will be built for xorg. In your case you have probably configured xorg
to use the ati-drivers (fglrx). It is a good idea to have the vesa
driver handy in case something breaks after an update. It allows you to
configure a slow but mostly working X11.

> I'm still using an older kernel, (2.6.18-gentoo-r6)
> so any advice on kernel versions  or options to use with this video
> card are welcome.

From what I remember from bugs.gentoo.org, 2.6.19 should work fine with
all recent ati-drivers, whereas 2.6.20 seems to be problematic.

> Any advice on which 3D drivers options are now available for this
> card or which version of ati-drivers I should install to keep
> xorg-server-1.3.0.0 happy are welcome. The only information I
> can find googling is not current with these newer versions
> of ati-drivers, 2.6.20+ kernels, 3D and xorg-server 1.3.

Stay away from xorg-server-1.3 and kernel-2.6.20 or later until ATI
releases new versions that work with them.

-- Remy