On Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2007, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I'm some bit confused that the wranglers should do such decisions
> > > at all (if they're not also involved in the affected package).
> >
> > because it is their job to filter out noise so 'real' devs can
> > concentrate on the 'real' bugs. They are the first line of defence.
>
> Oh, funny, devs have to be defended from users ?

from abusive users?
yes

also from mediocre bug reports, and bugs where the problem is PEBCAC.
Because their time is limited. So they need people who filter out the junk.

> This really reminds me on the behaviour of some great German Telco.
> They defend their techs (who often are really good folks) by stupid
> callcenter people who can do almost nothing. The new management has
> recognized that such extreamly bad service had cost about a million
> of customers and so changes that. (yeah, I didn't belive it first,
> but they're now really trying to do good service) ...

Telekom?

Telekom had always bad service, they have bad service, they will have bad
service.

But you can't compare a multi-billion euro business with a VOLUNTEER project.

> > And since bug wranglers are humans, they can't know everything
> > and sometimes they make a mistake.
>
> Of course. And I don't blame them for doing some mistake.
> The problem is that it happens virtually everytime. I don't know if
> it only affects my bugs which are declared invalid per default.

and strangely it only happened once for me. Maybe it is the quality and tone
of your bug reports?

> It would be really okay, if the wrangler says: "please provide
> more information" or "the patch makes trouble with [...]" etc.
> And if some makes an error, could simply say one word: sorry.
> This would be an normal discussion, as civilized people used to do.

and strangely, that is the usual way.

Except with Jakub - but that is a completly different problem.

> > Bug wranglers are the first filter, if the bug is not assigned
> > to a team. And sometimes, they filter things, that should not be
> > filtered out. Stay calm, explain the situation -
>
> Once, I did. But that did not work. I was titled stupid, my issues
> were declared invalid and I was told to go away.

and you did?

I stayed and after the third or fourth comment someone with the knowledge came
in and ended it.

If your bug is valid, stay there. Explain your problem. Maybe cc the correct
teams/devs.

As I said, the bug wranglers are just human (and one of them is pretty...
harsh).

> > But having a fit on this ml does not help anybody -
>
> For me, it helps. I just want to tell the public what's going on.
> After that I feel better. If anything changes then is unimportant
> at this point ;-P

but nothing changes because the people responsible for your anger do not read
this.

> And of course I inform people of my fixes. If they're interested,
> they can pick 'em, otherwise simply ignore me.

and what about the people not subscribed to the ml?

> > it just looks bad. And it makes YOU look bad.
>
> I dont care. It totally irrelevant to me, if I look good or bad
> in such an unimportant area like b.g.o.

for an unimportant area you make a lot of fuss about it.

> All that matters is that I get my problems solved as quick and
> easy as possible. And of course I like to give my works on OSS
> back to the community.

but complaining on the ml, instead to the devs, userrel oder devrel, won't
solve your problem. If you feel abused, talk to userrel/devrel. It is their
JOB to resolve the situation. And the last time a certain bugwrangler was too
abusive, he got hit with the cluehammer 40 000.