Good morning!

On my system, I don't use a modem and don't intend to ever
do so. Because of this, I did not install net-dialup/ppp.
But I'd now like to install kde-base/kde-meta, which will
pull in kde-base/kdenetwork-meta, which will pull in kde-base/kppp
and this will finally pull in net-dialup/ppp.

Can I now make it somehow so, that I am able to install kdenetwork-meta,
but NOT install kppp & ppp?

In the documentation at
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=5>
and in man portage at <http://gentoo-wiki.com/MAN_Portage>, I read,
that I might be able to use the package.provided file. But according
to the man page, it is located in the profile directory (/etc/make.profile).
I'd rather NOT fiddle with files in such a directory.

So I tried to create the file in /etc/portage. Contents:

--($:~)-- cat /etc/portage/package.provided
kde-base/kppp-3.5.7
net-dialup/ppp-2.4.4-r8

But when I run emerge, I get the following output:

[nomerge      ] kde-base/kde-meta-3.5.7  USE="-accessibility nls"
[ebuild  N    ]  kde-base/kdenetwork-meta-3.5.7  USE="wifi" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ]   kde-base/kppp-3.5.7  USE="-arts -debug kdeenablefinal
kdehiddenvisibility xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    net-dialup/ppp-2.4.4-r8  USE="-activefilter -atm -dhcp
-eap-tls gtk -ipv6 -mppe-mppc pam -radius" 0 kB
[nomerge      ] net-im/ekiga-2.0.9  USE="-avahi dbus -debug doc gnome sdl"

Ie. ppp would be installed.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

How do I do it right?

Thanks,