This is getting frustrating.  All my searching turns up stuff that
involves responding to some "event" that is triggered by closing the lid
on a laptop.  That is obviously not going to happen on a desktop PC.
I've got a few reasons for wanting the desktop to suspend, or at least
sleep...

  1) Save wear and tear on the drive for the major part of the day when
I'm not using the machine

  2) Ontario (especially Toronto) runs close to the limit of electrical
capacity during hot summer days and the authorities want us to conserve

  3) Did I mention that I've just moved to a newer condo, where every
suite is on their own electrical meter<g> ?

  Normal rebooting is a pain, because I usually run with 3 or 4 text
consoles logged in for different functions, as well as an X session.  So
what do I have to do to get a *DESKTOP* PC to suspend to disk (preferred)
or to ram (second choice)?

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?