On Monday 17 September 2007, Mike Williams wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2007 13:41:37 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > More like revdep-rebuild doesn't know how to build libOffFLAC anymore as
> > the ebuild that put it there isn't in portage anymore or masked or
> > keyworded or whatevered. I've seen this myself a time or three on my
> > own machines.
> >
> > There's nothing revdep-rebuild can do about this except shrug and leave
> > it alone, but the output could be more informative. Perhaps a feature
> > request in is order here
>
> revdep-rebuild doesn't work like that.
> If a binary is dynamically linked to a library that doesn't exist anymore,
> the package owning the binary is rebuilt, as portage is unlikely to know
> what package supplied a file that doesn't exist. The idea being the package
> will find and link against libraries that do exist.
>
> In this case it would seem that revdep-rebuild should be trying to emerge:
> media-libs/sdl-sound
> media-plugins/gst-plugins-flac
> media-plugins/gst-plugins-oss
> media-libs/akode

This is how I understood that is should work too.  If for what ever reason it
doesn't rebuild the above packages itself, it should either say why (e.g.
keyword masked, Blocked, not in portage, etc.) and, or pass it on to me to
emerge/unmerge manually as required.  I thought that invariably this is how
portage behave, hence this thread to resolve my confusion.  Are we in
agreement that there is something wrong on this occasion - should I file a
bug?  Or a 'feature request?  Or wait until it happens again?
--
Regards,
Mick