On Monday 17 September 2007, Anno v. Heimburg wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Somewhat puzzled that a emerge -upDv world before I remerged flac did not
> > pick these up . . .
>
> That can happen if sdl-sound is not in the worldfile and is not depended
> upon, directly or indirectly, by anything in the worldfile. This situation
> will arise if you emerge s/th requiring sdl-sound, and then later unmerge
> whatever required it. If you don't do a depclean, that will leave sdl-sound
> on your computer but outside of the world tree.
>
> Anno.

Thank you Anno,

You're absolutely right, this is what was wrong with my system.  I'm not sure
if these were packages left over from the good old xmms:
# regenworld
add to world: media-libs/sdl-sound
add to world: media-plugins/gst-plugins-flac
add to world: media-plugins/gst-plugins-oss
add to world: media-libs/akode

Thank you all again for helping me trouble shoot this.
--
Regards,
Mick