Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> that is one of the most stupid things I ever read on this list. So users
> should never be part of discussions? Their needs? Their opinions?
>
> Also, drobbins continued his attacks even after explained SEVERAL times that
> the stuff ciaranm was doing was a) wanted and b) helpfull and c) supervised
> by devs.
>
> But he couldn't shut up OR accept that things changed since he left.
>
> Somebody who can not deal with changes, is somebody certainly unfit for
> leadership.
>
> Yes, he started gentoo (my first gentoo was 1.0). And compared to the chaotic
> times, gentoo is a heaven of stability today. Back under drobbins leadership
> it was ok, that the tree was broken or some update screwed your system.
> Happened all the time - nobody complained (too loudly). And some day he left.
> Things changed. Gentoo is much more stable today. There is no breakage of the
> week. No large scale surprising 'nothing works anymore'. A lot of things were
> done - without him.
>
> And he comes back and thinks that he can do better? Please - he already has
> shown that he can't. He has shown that he will leave projects after a short
> while (stampede, freebsd, enoch, gentoo, Microsoft). He has never shown that
> he can pull through with a project.

With all due respect, the current leadership has not shown they can do
any better either.  The foundation no longer exists legally.  Something
that important ever happen when he was here?

I do agree that users should have say and be able to express their
opinions.  If the devs had better social skills, not all but just a few,
then maybe some users would express that more.  It's just like anything
else, only a few makes the rest look bad.

As to things breaking in portage, yea, it did happen.  Gentoo was pretty
new back then and it was expected.  I was new back then and I caused
some breakage of my own but it was expected to.  Code wise, Gentoo has
come a VERY VERY LONG ways.  It is not just better but hugely better.
That doesn't mean that the same would not have happened if he stayed
with Gentoo tho.  Gentoo was a baby then and like all of us it stumbled
until it learned how to walk.  Code wise, right now it can run a
marathon and win in my opinion.  The developers have done their job
pretty well but with little social skills I'm afraid.  Again, just a few
of them tho.

Oh, I been here since 1.4 myself.  I have been subscribed to -dev, -user
and other mailing lists for a long time.  I also read the forums tho I
don't post as much as I used to.  There may be things I don't know but I
got a good "gut feeling" that Gentoo needs better leadership than it
currently has.

My $0.02 worth.

Dale