On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:47:25 +0100, Erik wrote:

> And I use his filesystem (reiser3.6),
> which has worked perfectly for over 3 years on my laptop. How likely is
> it that he would have committed such a crime? What motive would he have?

Isn't that something for the courts to decide, rather than uninformed
speculation based on mailing list posts?

> That sounds like the perfect way to harm the free software community.
> Make some important person's wife disappear. Is there any organization
> out there who would do something dirty to harm us if they could get away
> with it? How trustworthy is the Russian police? Is the Russian legal
> system working satisfactory?

With all due respect to Hans Reiser, and I use his filesystem myself, I
don't think his incarceration would significantly harm the OSS community.
It's a filesystem, there are plenty of others of comparable quality.

Nor does it have anything to do with the Russian legal system, as
everything is taking place in the US, where everybody gets as much
justice as they can afford.

--
Neil Bothwick

Octal: (n.) a base-8 counting system designed so that one hand may count
upon the fingers of the other. Thumbs are not used, and the index finger
is reserved for the 'carry.'