On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 07:26:28PM +0000, Penguin Lover Mick squawked:
> > ssh -p 443 -L 2222:smtpserver:25 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > and configure your mail client to send to localhost, port 2222.
> > Another alternative (depending upon how many ports you need to forward)
> > could be to use SOCKS.
>
> With option -D on the server.  Hmm, need to explain that the ssh server is
> NOT
> the mail server (and last time I looked gmail did not accept ssh connections
> to their mail servers!), but a router I run at home.  The idea is that I will
> set up corresponding forwarding rules on the router.  Is that sound?

Does your mail server at home have a real ip address? You can do

ssh -l <username> -p 443 -N ssh.server.address -L
localport:mail.server.address:remoteport

And you don't need to worry about setting up forwarding rules on the
router.

It might even work with private ip addresses for the mail server (I've
never tried that... but it could be true that the ssh server will try
to look up the ip address of mail server relative to where it is
sitting, in that case it should be possible to address something
behind an NAT).

Pintsize: Hehe, yeah, that does sound like a pretty empty, pointless
    existence.
Marten:   You are not helping, you know.
Pintsize: Wait, I'm supposed to be HELPING?
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 437 days, 20:52