On Monday 18 February 2008, Willie Wong wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 07:26:28PM +0000, Penguin Lover Mick squawked:
> > > ssh -p 443 -L 2222:smtpserver:25 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > and configure your mail client to send to localhost, port 2222.
> > > Another alternative (depending upon how many ports you need to forward)
> > > could be to use SOCKS.
> >
> > With option -D on the server.  Hmm, need to explain that the ssh server
> > is NOT the mail server (and last time I looked gmail did not accept ssh
> > connections to their mail servers!), but a router I run at home.  The
> > idea is that I will set up corresponding forwarding rules on the router.
> > Is that sound?
>
> Does your mail server at home have a real ip address? You can do
>
> ssh -l <username> -p 443 -N ssh.server.address -L
> localport:mail.server.address:remoteport
>
> And you don't need to worry about setting up forwarding rules on the
> router.

The mail server is on the Internet, not accessible by ssh.  I intended to use
the router to bounce the ssh connection and forward it to the mail server.

laptop --> |firewall| --> router --> mailserver
       ssh            ssh        ssl

Essentially, thinking of using the router as a proxy server.
--
Regards,
Mick