you need to make sure ntp-client and ntpd (from openntpd) have been
started, and you have a valid time server.

Below I have included everything I hope will help you

- ------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ emerge -vp openntpd

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-misc/openntpd-3.9_p1-r1  USE="ssl (-selinux)" 150 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 150 kB
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/ntpd
# /etc/conf.d/ntpd: config file for openntpd's ntpd

NTPD_HOME=/var/empty

# See ntpd(8) man page ... some popular options:
#  -s   Set the time immediately at startup
NTPD_OPTS=""
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/ntp-client
# /etc/conf.d/ntp-client

# Command to run to set the clock initially
# Most people should just leave this line alone ...
# however, if you know what you're doing, and you
# want to use ntpd to set the clock, change this to 'ntpd'
NTPCLIENT_CMD="ntpdate"

# Options to pass to the above command
# This default setting should work fine but you should
# change the default 'pool.ntp.org' to something closer
# to your machine.  See http://www.pool.ntp.org/ or
# try running `netselect -s 3 pool.ntp.org`.
NTPCLIENT_OPTS="-s -b -u pool.ntp.org"
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/ntp
ntp.conf   ntp.conf~  ntpd.conf
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/ntpd.conf
# $OpenBSD: ntpd.conf,v 1.7 2004/07/20 17:38:35 henning Exp $
# sample ntpd configuration file, see ntpd.conf(5)

# Addresses to listen on (ntpd does not listen by default)
#listen on *
#listen on 127.0.0.1
#listen on ::1

# sync to a single server
#server ntp.example.org

# use a random selection of 8 public stratum 2 servers
# see http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
servers pool.ntp.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /etc/ntp.conf
# NOTES:
#  - you should only have to update the server line below
#  - if you start getting lines like 'restrict' and 'fudge'
#    and you didnt add them, AND you run dhcpcd on your
#    network interfaces, be sure to add '-Y -N' to the
#    dhcpcd_ethX variables in /etc/conf.d/net

# Name of the servers ntpd should sync with
# Please respect the access policy as stated by the responsible person.
#server         ntp.example.tld         iburst

server pool.ntp.org
netselect -s 3 pool.ntp.org

##
# A list of available servers can be found here:
# http://www.pool.ntp.org/
# http://www.pool.ntp.org/#use
# A good way to get servers for your machine is:
# netselect -s 3 pool.ntp.org
##

# you should not need to modify the following paths
driftfile       /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

#server ntplocal.example.com prefer
#server timeserver.example.org

# Warning: Using default NTP settings will leave your NTP
# server accessible to all hosts on the Internet.

# If you want to deny all machines (including your own)
# from accessing the NTP server, uncomment:
#restrict default ignore

# To deny other machines from changing the
# configuration but allow localhost:
restrict default nomodify nopeer
restrict 127.0.0.1

# To allow machines within your network to synchronize
# their clocks with your server, but ensure they are
# not allowed to configure the server or used as peers
# to synchronize against, uncomment this line.
#
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify nopeer notrap
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

EOF