Hi,

What could also help in this is installing vmware-workstation-tools[1]
in your Gentoo instance.

Not directly related to your specific problem, but I've been running
RHEL 5 x86_64 in a VM on a CentOS 5 i386 host. The time in RHEL flows
slowly, and soon the clock is way behind. I have tried setting up ntpd
to keep the time in sync with the host machine, but it crashed
silently right away.

To work around this, I have a cron job that sets the correct time with
the ntpdate command every 2 minutes. It's good enough for my needs.

[1] http://gentoo-portage.com/app-emulation/vmware-workstation-tools

Good luck!
Mike