To preface the question, I should mention that I'm currently residing in China, so communication with the networking guys on this end is a bit difficult because the communication algorithm typically begins, "Step 1: Learn Chinese."

I am having difficulties with getting bumped out of an SSH connection from a server in the U.S. with "Connection reset by peer" maybe 5-10 seconds after logging in.

It *only* occurs in my apartment; i.e., when I go to a local wifi hotspot, I have no difficulties whatsoever. So I don't think it's coming from my end, and I don't think it's coming from the server I'm logging in to.

Some details:

1) To ensure that I'm not having problems with keepalives, I configured SSHD on the other end very liberally (with some impressively fast typing, if I do say so myself). In sshd_config, I have

TCPKeepAlive no
ClientAliveInterval 15
ClientAliveCountMax 12

2) I then set ethereal running.  Just as I got bumped, it indicated

  Source        Destination  Protocol  Info
  (the server)  (my laptop)   TCP      22 > 1259 [RST, ACK] Seq=5357
                                       Ack=4037 Win=63856 Len=0

I'm not a networking guy, but I think that means a reset packet is being sent, ostensibly from the server.

3) When I get bumped, ssh -vvv gives the following

  debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
  debug3: channel 0: status: The following connections are open:
    #0 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 4/5 cfd -1)
  debug3: channel 0: close_fds r 4 w 5 e 6 c -1
  Read from remote host www.bogusdomain.com: Connection reset by peer
  Connection to www.bogusdomain.com closed.
  debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 126 bytes in 17.1 seconds
  debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 7.4
  debug1: Exit status -1

If the reset is not coming from the server or the client (I don't have any problems when I'm at a hotspot), where could it be coming from?

Thanks in advance,

-Collin

--
Collin Starkweather, Ph.D.