Quoting Dan Farrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:16:09 -0400
"Mark Shields" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Are you thinking his ISP is doing port-based connection filtering?

What kind of connection filtering allows a connection to go through for
5 seconds, then resets it?

I've been wondering the same thing. Typically, one wouldn't even expect to get through in the first place if there were filtering.

The Great Firewall of China works by immediately sending hangup packets to both sides, spoofing they're coming from the appropriate party. But typically that happens the instant you try to establish a connection. Moreover, because I can get in from the local hotspot, I wouldn't imagine it's a Great Firewall issue.

Some ISPs and the university campus (I believe I'm going through the local university's ISP) do their own filtering, but I can't imagine why a "5-second rule" would be implemented.

-Collin