On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:32:21 -0500
Chris Brennan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One other thing that may be good, is someone to donate resources if
> need be to get the project off the ground. Us doing all the technical
> footwork, means very little if there is no practical application in
> place, something tangible to look at and evaluate.
>
> If we're going to commit to this, then we may as well go as far as we
> can with it, till it looks so impressive and awe-inspiring that we
> can't help but be flocked to, like gentoo-wiki and the forums. When I
> help new users into the world of Linux and Gentoo, I tell them, there
> are three things you should book mark, and visit frequently,
> gentoo.com, gentoo-wiki.com and forums.gentoo.org, why shouldn't this
> be any different.

Friends,

I write custom database-driven websites like this one professionally,
and there is absolutely no reason that, if I had just a little help
coding the thing, we couldn't turn something like this into a reality.

If anyone is interested in, and has the resources necessary to, make
this happen, please speak up.  The project might to very well if we had
someone to do a little web design, someone to write a little PHP, and
whoever else wanted to help, besides myself.

Furthermore, it's possible we can simply have the code that runs on
ubuntu's site.  I have sent a mail[1] to the webmasters of ubuntu.com,
hoping it will be directed to the proper feedback channels.  I know
hosting won't be a problem; I'm sure the gentoo web people would stick
it on a box somewhere, or, failing that, give us a subdomain to work
with on our own servers.

I think, personally, that we should leave bugs.gentoo.org alone on this
one.  The devs are likely to think 'wouldn't
it be nice if we had this neat web page ... ' doesn't count as a
feature enhancement, but rather a _feature_.  To that end, I started a
gentoo forums post[2] about the topic instead.

Make sure to speak up if you want to help!

Thanks for reading.

[1] email to [EMAIL PROTECTED],canonical}.com
> My attention has recently been drawn to brainstorm.ubuntu.com.  What
> an excellent way to 'socialize' user ideas and feedback!  The site
> got a bit of attention on the gentoo-users mailing list, and the
> general feeling was that such a site would be greatly beneficial to
> the community here in gentoo as well.
>
> Would you be amenable to the idea of granting us permission to use the
> site engine?
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
>       Dan Farrell

[2]