Ivan Alden schrieb:
Hi,

My laptop ran out of battery and shut off while I was using it and it
seems to have done some damage to the bootloader. When I reboot I can't
see the grub splashscreen any more but if I press enter I does boot into
my kernel. As the computer is booting the output looks all messed up
(but you can make that its initializing devices) until it reaches around
the networking devices which then corrects and works properly.

I've tried reconfiguring grub with
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

Does anybody have any suggestions of how to fix this?

Thanks.

Maybe it is this grub splashimage problem. If so, see for grub "emerge make boot screen and others unreadable" in this mailing list.
If not, I am sorry, don't know an answer.

KH