Ivan Alden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop ran out of battery and shut off while I was using it and it
> seems to have done some damage to the bootloader. When I reboot I can't
> see the grub splashscreen any more but if I press enter I does boot into
> my kernel. As the computer is booting the output looks all messed up
> (but you can make that its initializing devices) until it reaches around
> the networking devices which then corrects and works properly.
>
> I've tried reconfiguring grub with
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions of how to fix this?
>
> Thanks.

Hello Ivan,
I had just yesterday exactly the same problem, not because my laptop
runs out of battery, but because of full system update. I do it only
once a week. Anyway.

I could fix it in the following way:
- Switch off your laptop and wait some seconds.
- Start your laptop
- Boot your kernel, you have to imaging on which position in the
  boot menu this one is
- after the machine is up and running
- emerge -av grub
- reboot and it should be fine