Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2008, Wolf Canis wrote:
>> Oh sorry,
>>
>> _very_ _important_ :
>>
>> Mount your boot partition _before_ you emerge grub.
>
> I believe that the grub ebuild mounts it for you, messes up your grub.conf
> and
> carries on with its business . . .

So far I that now, is that now changed. You have to mount it before
you emerge grub. The following is from the ebuild grub-0.97-r6.ebuild:

-- Quote begin ---------
pkg_postinst() {
    if [[ -n ${DONT_MOUNT_BOOT} ]]; then
        elog "WARNING: you have DONT_MOUNT_BOOT in effect, so you must
apply"
        elog "the following instructions for your /boot!"
        elog "Neglecting to do so may cause your system to fail to boot!"
        elog
    else
        setup_boot_dir "${ROOT}"/boot
        # Trailing output because if this is run from pkg_postinst, it
gets mixed into
        # the other output.
        einfo ""
    fi
    elog "To interactively install grub files to another device such as
a USB"
    elog "stick, just run the following and specify the directory as
prompted:"
    elog "   emerge --config =${PF}"
    elog "Alternately, you can export GRUB_ALT_INSTALLDIR=/path/to/use
to tell"
    elog "grub where to install in a non-interactive way."

}

-- Quote end ------

W. Canis