On Thursday 21 August 2008 20:24:55 Chuck Robey wrote:
> This email comments on something dealing with an emerge package issue; if
> this is the wrong list to put that into, let me know, I'll try again.
>
> I'm trying to emerge kde-base/kde-meta.  As I ordinarily do with things I
> know will have lots of dependencies, I ran "emerge --pretend" on it to see
> if I was all right with the list of dependencies.  In this case, one of the
> items listed was kde-base/kde-i18n-3.5.9.  Now, correct me if I'm wrong,
> but the stuff that says "i18n" is referring to a version that supports a
> Russian character list. That's truly useless for me (and, I would think,
> the great majority of users in the USA).  What I wanted to ask is, having
> that file as a default dependency of kde-meta, isn't that hugely wrong?  I
> mean, shouldn't a user have to slect that in, not have it get installed by
> default?  I mean, you should need to have something like that in your USE
> flags, shouldn't you?
>
> Or, am I getting something wrong in understanding what an app labeled with
> "i18n" would mean?

It's not a default dependency:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /var/portage/kde-base/kde-meta $ grep i18n *ebuildkde-
meta-3.5.9.ebuild:nls? ( >=kde-base/kde-i18n-${PV}:${SLOT} )

So it's only pulled in if you have the "nls" USE flag set. Engligh-speaking
Americans probably have no need for this, and can unset it

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com