On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Dirk Heinrichs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 20 November 2008 13:49:51 schrieb ext deface:
>
>> Just an IMO, compiling OO is idiotic, use the -bin
>
> Here's another one: using a binary package that most likely doesn't fit into
> your otherwise self-compiled system is even more idiotic.
>
> Bye...
> --
> Dirk Heinrichs

Saying compiling OO is idiotic is a bit harsh and a generalization,
but there are merit to the underlying idea.

First off, as far as I can remember, compiling OO from source and
installing the binary version is not exactly the same. The source one
install OO from go-oo.org while the binary package is the normal Sun
OO.

Another reason is that OO is reputed for having a very complicated
build system that takes up a lot of resources to complete. Depending
on the hardware you are doing this on "using a binary package that
most likely doesn't fit into your otherwise self-compiled system" may
not be that idiotic.

Regards
Dirk