Details:
Usually its kind of obvious if you dig around in .config a bit, but
now always.

I find the module at /lib/modules/2.6.24*/:
../kernel/drivers/net/tg3.ko

But I haven't been able to nail that to a kernel config line.

Searches inside menuconfig on TG3 turn up nothing.

grep -i tg3 of the .config file find nothing.  I'm pretty sure it
located between

  `# Protocols'
  (line 1139)

   and

  `# Wireless'
  (line 1327)

I'm sure it could be different in different .config files but those
two section headings should be there... maybe not on those line
numbers.

It is a section that covers many of the network drivers

After scanning there I still am not sure where tg3 comes from or what
it is.