On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM, daid kahl <daid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/16 Guillermo Garron <guillermo.fed...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to Gentoo, and yes I am also new to compiling kernels.
>>

> I recently got in to configuring my own kernel (I'm not sure if you're at
> this level or using other people's .config files); it's a bit lazy and maybe
> risky not to configure it yourself, but you have to start somewhere.
>
> In any case, the two things I found most helpful are kccmp and
> http://cateee.net.  The first is a program to compare two kernel
> configurations, and tell you the differences between them, and so on,
> displayed in a nice table in X; you can find it in the portage tree.  Before
> I found that, I was literally like comparing the files by hand on print outs
> and stuff...what a nightmare.  The other is a Debian developer's site, but
> there is a large part on kernel configuration (specifically at
> http://cateee.net/lkddb/).  I didn't actually find a really easy way to
> search the site besides doing a google site-limited query (CONFIG_BLAH_BLAH
> site:cateee.net), but once you get to a config page, at the bottom there is
> also a google bar with a radio button for just searching that site.  There
> could be better places to look for kernel configuration options, but that's
> what I was using, and obviously, if you want to configure your kernel, you
> should have a place to look up the options, and that database has a basic
> description of most (but not all) configurations at least for up to 2.6.26
> (maybe later, but that's what I'm using right now).  Maybe other people can
> point to other resources?
>
> Also, you should avoid using oldconfig except for really minor kernel
> upgrades.  I know this is mentioned in documentation elsewhere, but just a
> useful reminder.

Thanks a lot friend, I am trying to configure my Kernel myself (I am
not that lazy :)).

I will try all the advices here, and will come back to tell you which
was the one which works, it will take me some time, As I can only work
on this briefly at nights and on weekends.

regards.

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."