> I'm inclined to sumbit to the expertise of others when choosing kernel
> compilation options, and so I generally boot a recent liveCD and take a copy
> of the kernel .config from there (`zcat /proc/config.gz`)
>
> System Rescue CD uses a kernel of about the same vintage as the one you're
> trying to upgrade to. I suggest you boot with it & see if your NIC works. If
> so, copy the kernel config & `make oldconfig`.
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>
> Stroller.

I'm pretty sure the kernels used for LiveCDs are absolutely huge because
they just assume you have basically every piece of hardware available, and
thus take much longer to boot (comparing a LiveCD on my machine to my
kernel, maybe 4 to 5 times longer).  So, sure this will make your computer
work, but it doesn't really seem like a good way to go about things, at
least not other than for the first boot and a backup kernel.

Come to think of it, this sounds like an amazing way to make a backup kernel
for when something goes wrong so I don't have to throw in the Live CD
(assuming grub is still booting at that point).  But not for your primary
kernel for daily use.

~daid