Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Saturday 07 March 2009 09:03:30 Roy Wright wrote:
Howdy,

Recently upgraded to kde 4.2.1 and noticed that lancelot is reported by
top as 100% cpu.  Looking at system monitor - cpu settings plasmoid, it
looks like 2 of the cores (quad core cpu) are optioning off at 100%.

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing something similar?

Hi Roy,

By your wording I'd assume that Lancelot was fine with version 4.2.0? Are you having trouble with any other plasmoids? I get similar behaviour with some of the eye-candy compiz-style plugins, but Lancelot itself is solid (and vastly superior to that default menu thing).

It's unlikely to be plasma itself, I see very little reports about that. It's more likely to be X related or drivers or some such.

Please post back with details of your hardware, drivers, kde USE settings etc etc

Yes, no issues with kde 4.2.0. What happened is I'd upgraded to the bad nvidia-drivers-180.35, downgraded to 180.29, then upgraded kde from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1. One weird side-effect of the 4.2.1 upgrade is that I lost my plasma desktop layout. No biggy, I just added the plasmoids back. Then I noticed the lancelot cpu usage issue. I have not noticed any behavior problems. Kde 4.2 has been rock solid.

~x86 system

emerge --info at http://pastebin.com/m6914fe90 (1 month duration)

lshw at http://pastebin.com/m5a355800 (1 month duration)

All I can think to try is to move my ~/.kde4.2 directory and let it regenerate.

Thank you,
Roy