Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Saturday 07 March 2009 10:12:42 Roy Wright wrote:

Yes, no issues with kde 4.2.0.  What happened is I'd upgraded to the bad
nvidia-drivers-180.35, downgraded to 180.29, then upgraded kde from
4.2.0 to 4.2.1.  One weird side-effect of the 4.2.1 upgrade is that I
lost my plasma desktop layout.  No biggy, I just added the plasmoids
back.  Then I noticed the lancelot cpu usage issue.  I have not noticed
any behavior problems.  Kde 4.2 has been rock solid.

I followed the exact same steps (even the nvidia upgrade-downgrade cycle) on my notebook with no problems whatsoever. The only difference is I have ~amd64

~x86 system

emerge --info at http://pastebin.com/m6914fe90 (1 month duration)

lshw at http://pastebin.com/m5a355800 (1 month duration)

All I can think to try is to move my ~/.kde4.2 directory and let it
regenerate.

That's a good quick easy check. At least we'll know if it's a code or a config issue

Looks like it was a config type issue with something in ~/.kde4.2.

Thank you for helping me work thru it.

Roy