>> $ ssh -Y 192.168.10.1
>> The authenticity of host '192.168.10.1 (192.168.10.1)' can't be
>> established. RSA key fingerprint is.
>> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
>> Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts
>> (/home/grant/.ssh/known_hosts).
>
> I think the problem is here: too strict permissions in ~/.ssh preventing
> ssh to update known_hosts list, needed to continue connection. it
> should be 700 for the .ssh directory and 600 for the file known_hosts.
>
> What is the output of: ls -l .ssh -d ? And ls -l .ssh ?
> Is 192.168.10.1 in your known_hosts?
> With the right RSA key?
>
> Ciao
>        Francesco

Thanks again everyone, it's working after a reboot.  X has been
strange since the xorg-1.5 upgrade.  I noticed that ssh -X fails with
the same error message I've been getting, but ssh -Y succeeds.  man
ssh says:

-Y   Enables trusted X11 forwarding.  Trusted X11 forwardings are not
subjected to the X11 SECURITY extension controls.

Security extension controls sounds like a good thing.  Does anyone
know why -X isn't working?

- Grant