Am Samstag, 9. Mai 2009 14:46:39 schrieb Dale:

> Wasn't there a security reason for this setup at one time?  If you put
> /boot  on a separate partition, then the only time it needed to be
> mounted was to update the kernel or edit grub/lilo.  That was what I was
> reading when I installed Gentoo oh so many ages ago.
>
> Is this still true?

Of course, it needs to mounted rw for the few seconds needed to discover the
LVs, ask the user for the passphrase and create the dmcrypt mapping. Then it's
unmounted again and remounted ro during normal system boot. I don't consider
this a security problem. If it was, I could also stop using Linux altogether,
since there are also other filesystem on my system which need to be mounted rw
if the system should do something useful.

Bye...

        Dirk