Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Samstag, 9. Mai 2009 14:46:39 schrieb Dale:
>

>> Wasn't there a security reason for this setup at one time?  If you put
>> /boot  on a separate partition, then the only time it needed to be
>> mounted was to update the kernel or edit grub/lilo.  That was what I was
>> reading when I installed Gentoo oh so many ages ago.
>>
>> Is this still true?
>>

> Of course, it needs to mounted rw for the few seconds needed to discover the
> LVs, ask the user for the passphrase and create the dmcrypt mapping. Then
> it's
> unmounted again and remounted ro during normal system boot. I don't consider
> this a security problem. If it was, I could also stop using Linux altogether,
> since there are also other filesystem on my system which need to be mounted
> rw
> if the system should do something useful.
>
> Bye...
>
>       Dirk

I was talking about with just a plain file system.  I read in a install
guide somewhere when I was installing ages ago that having /boot on a
separate partition, and not always mounted, was a good security
practice.  That way no one could alter the kernel since it was not
mounted.

I do agree that if a person was on the system and able to get root
access, they could them mount the /boot partition as well.  I never was
really sure why this was thought to work.  I used a separate /boot
because for a while I was dual booting Mandrake and Gentoo.  Old habit
now I guess.

Dale

:-)  :-)