Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
It tries to load "ati" on its own when I run "startx" with no
xorg.conf.  Not my idea.

"ati" is a wrapper which tries to detect which driver to load.

I'm not aware of having done anything to specify "ati", so I don't
know how to stop it. My focus on ati-drivers came from the fact that
portage really wants to compile it.

Only if you have "fglrx" in VIDEO_CARDS (in make.conf).

BTW: video is an integrated ATI Rage XL on the motherboard, so it's a tad old.
When I run aticonfig --initial, it says
     aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

So I tried putting the driver in xorg.conf, and using a modified
version of what worked with the old server, arrived at
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ati-internal"
    Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

RESULTS: fglrx loads, but does not see the adapter.

fglrx is for Radeon and FireGL cards, not Rage. x11-drivers/xf86-video-r128 should be for your board. Try to modify your VIDEO_CARDS like this:

  VIDEO_CARDS="r128 fbdev vesa vmware"

and then emerge -auDN world.  Since you don't need ati-drivers, unmerge it.

For the undefined symbols, feel free to open a new thread.