On Monday 25 May 2009, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> In make.config, I changed to
>  VIDEO_CARDS="r128 vga fbdev vesa"
> and recompiled xorg-server.
[snip...]

> Now when I try "startx" it still has problems, but I appear to be
> closer.  On screen I see
[snip...]
> (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)

You probably have tried it already, but what gives when you remove
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf completely?  You can create/modify your .fdi file as
per the upgrade guide.

Also, check that you only have xf86-video-r128 emerged and not xf86-video-ati
and that you don't have any duplicate entries for radeon, ati, fglrx and what
have you in your VIDEO_CARDS within /etc/make.conf.

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick