On Monday 15 June 2009, Steve wrote:

> Running a DB is no hassle - I already run both MySQL and Postgres...
> Various unrelated requirements leave me with Windows on my desktop at
> the moment - so kmail isn't an ideal tool for me... I've fiddled with
> Thunderbird's address book but I found it rather lacking with respect to
> annotating contacts... it has a lack-lustre search... and it isn't
> client server - making it klunky if I intend to access the same data
> from my windows desktop; ubuntu netbook and Symbian internet-enabled
> mobile phone.  I like the idea that a contacts management package should
> allow me to initiate contact - so integration with email programs -
> using LDAP, perhaps - would be desirable... though not necessarily
> essential.

Ah, may have missed it in the original post that you want multi-client access.

> Joshua Murphy wrote:
> > Well, most tools that handle that functionality I know of are full
> > fledged CRMs, which are overkill for what you're after. You might take
> > a look at Simple Customer though, PHP & MySQL, and seems to take a
> > less 'enterprise' centric approach.
> >
> > http://www.simplecustomer.com/
> >
> > No idea if it's any good, though.
>
> This is definitely looking as if it is heading in the right direction.
> Features I hoped I would find, but seem to be missing are:
>
> * Tagging of contacts - something a bit like a taxonomy in Drupal....
> So, for example, I could tag Fred Bloggs as having UK residency;
> Occupation: Plumber - etc. and so that I could, at a later date search
> my contacts for a UK resident Plumber.  (OK, it's a contrived example,
> but, hopefully, it illustrates the idea.)
> * Flexible search for contacts... perhaps by name, perhaps by email
> address; perhaps just search notes.
> * Good support for multiple communications technologies... including
> non-US addresses; skype - etc. :)
> * Good support for ageing data on a field-by-field basis... by this I
> mean that it is relevant, for example, when addresses were established,
> because people move home...
>
> Many thanks for the suggestions so far - they've, at the very least,
> helped me refine my ideas about what I want...

Have you looked at egroupware/phpgroupware and even open-exchange products?
As long as you are happy to run a server at home and store your
social/professional networking contacts into either mysql or LDAP, one of
these front ends should do what you want.
--
Regards,
Mick