Well, like Walt said, printing configuration has often been a problem.  When
I checked, after rebooting after an upgrade to ~amd64, the printers were
both setup as network printers. They are not.  As soon as I changed the
widget to indicate the printer was local, it started priinting!  Dumb things
indeed...

Sound is a more arcane area, not there yet.