Why all the handwringing? Just use hplip when using a HP printer and all the
hair-pulling will disappear in seconds.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngn...@gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 01:48:57
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: new system, printing suddenly fails for all
        printers

Thank you Walt:

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:02 AM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had both problems several times in the past, always caused by dumb
> things that, of course, should never happen but often do anyway.

Me too.  Maybe so this time as well, at least I hope so.

> First the sound.  I still don't know why but often when rebooting with
> a different kernel (I do it often) the sound mixer will wind up with
> certain channels either muted or turned down all the way.  Because these
> channels are not visible on my gnome volume control I have to use the
> alsamixer to find the problem and restore the proper settings until
> the next reboot.  Dumb, but that's the way it is.

There is no PCM channel in alsamixer!  Maybe I will try alsamixergui, where
I saw switches once.

> You should definitely *not* unload your kernel sound modules when shutting
> down -- it's silly and causes problems.  Turn this 'feature' off in your
> /etc/conf.d/alsasound by setting UNLOAD_ON_STOP="no" and KILLPROC_ON_STOP=
> "no".

Duly noted and exorcized.

> Printing.  Usually my printing problems come from having the wrong printing
> "device" set in the cups Modify Printer section (localhost:631 as you
> said).
>
> Usually the problem is that I didn't have the printer connected and turned
> on when setting the 'printer device' and therefore the proper choice didn't
> appear in the menu.  Really dumb.

Two printers are connected, and turned on.  One printer, the deskjet,
started one job, a testpage, got to 17% and stayed there a good long while.

> Anyway, start by going back through that printer setup menu system and try
> every choice until you find one that works -- and make sure the printer is
> turned on :o)

Thank you again.  I earnestly hope they both iron out quickly.  I'm starting
to grow fond of this install.

Alan Davis

"...can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd
definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

   -- Woody Allen, quoted by B. A. Palevitz