I'm using a 4 years old system, and if I change that line, log out and
in again, it changes the env variable and everything works (that means
the behavior is probably caused by your configuration). If visudo is
still using that configuration, maybe that's because some
configuration file has precedence over environment variables. In that
case, you gotta find that file and change it.

Not an easy task, anyway... I just did an "grep -r /bin/nano" in /etc.
LOL, I know there's a better way, I'm just too lazy to look for it...

Man, running "sudo visudo" and just running "visudo" is not the same.
Be careful. Nano is hardcoded in sudo's ebuild.

--
Best regards, Spinal