On 1 Oct 2009, at 23:53, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 23:12:36 +0300, Arthur D. wrote:

I think it's most reasonably to omit that hardcoding line from ebuild.

I think you need to re-read the ebuild. sudo depends on virtual/ editor, not nano. Nowhere is nano hardcoded to be a requirement of sudo. On the other hand, if you went with the upstream settings, you'd need to add vim as a dependency, even for those that don't wish to use it. Forcing such
things on the user is most definitely not the Gentoo Way.

You appear to be demonstrating that you don't fully understand the problem:

828 ~ $ grep nano /usr/portage/app-admin/sudo/sudo-1.7.2_p1.ebuild
        # XXX: /bin/vi may not be available, make nano visudo's default.
                --with-editor=/bin/nano \
829 ~ $

Stroller.