Denis wrote:
> Ok, "emerge -e world" completed successfully.
>
> Bad news: X still crashes when scrolling in Mathematica...
>
> On to the downgrade of xcb then, as much as I'd rather not do that.
> As suggested, I would edit the world file to remove main X packages
> and then use emerge --depclean to prune out the danglers.  As someone
> who has never done this before, I got two questions:
>
> 1.  The easy one:  where is the world file located these days?
>
> 2.  The hard one:  which packages do I remove from the world file to
> clean out anything X-related?  I read of a suggestion to remove
> "x11-base/xorg-x11" and the rest would follow from depclean...  Is
> that too optimistic?
>
> Thanks,
> Denis

1:  /var/lib/portage/world

2:  The file is in alphabetical order nowadays.  The X stuff should be
at the bottom of the file.  Keep in mind tho, if you have a GUI such as
KDE installed, that will pull the X stuff as a dependency. Things like
Seamonkey may even pull in some X stuff.  After all, don't you have to
have a GUI for things like Seamonkey to work?

Not on your list but if you have done a emerge -e world, I'm not real
sure what this will accomplish.  That should have recompiled EVERYTHING
on your system already.  I would be looking for a mailing list for the
software to see if they know about this issue and have a fix or if they
can give some ideas or even commands to run to help them fix it.  I'm
not real sure that this is going to help any at all.

That help?

Dale

:-)  :-)