On Tuesday 13 October 2009 21:04:54 Denis wrote:
> Perhaps I should try this procedure on my home gentoo box first.
>
> Here are my USE flags:
>
>      X aac aim alsa ao bash-completion bdf branding bzip2 cairo cdda cddb
>      cdparanoia cdr cpudetection djvu emacs encode exif firefox flac
>      foomaticdb gif glut graphics gs gtk ieee1394 imagemagick imlib java
>      javascript jbig jpeg jpeg2k kpathsea lame latex ldap libnotify libwww
>      lm_sensors mad mmx mmxext mng motif mp3 mpeg mplayer msn openal opengl
>      oss pdf plotutils png ppds preview-latex pstricks qt3support qt4
>      quicktime rtc samba science sdl sensord smp sndfile spell sse sse2
>  svga swat tcl tetex tiff tk truetype tta usb wavpack winbind wmp xcb xine
>  xml yahoo -dri -isdnlog -pppd

At a minum you'll need to remove

cairo
firefox
gtk
motif
opengl
pdf
qt3support
qt4
truetype
scb

There will be others, that's just obvious ones from a quick scan through. Also
remove similarly obvious stuff from package.use

The as Dale said, manually edit your world file to remove everything that is
obviously X related. But first, verify that "emerge -avuND world" want to
merge nothing, otherwise --depclean will complain.

Then the fun starts:

emerge -a --depclean   and let it do whatever it wants.
emerge -pvuNDt world   and look closely at what X stuff it wants to pull in.
See if it's a dependency thing or a USE flag thing, and deal with it.
Eventually, emerge -pvuND world will not want to remerge anything, only
rebuild stuff due to changed USE flags.
--depclean again, rinse and repeat as many times as you have to (probably
lots).

When you have done all this, and it will take a day or three, you will no
doubt realise that it was not worth the effort and you should have just
reinstalled without X, or fixed the underlying problem.

Excising X is like downgrading to stable from unstable - not worth the effort.

Sorry, but them's the breaks :-)

> When "world" is edited, should I leave make.conf be or do I also need
> to remove all X-related USE flags from there?

Remove the flags from make.conf and also from package.use

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com