Marcus Wanner wrote:
> On 10/28/2009 04:01 AM, Dale wrote:
>> Mick wrote:
>>
>>> To read your PCI connected devices you need:
>>>
>>> lspci -v
>>>
>>> HTH.
>>>

>> That is the key command in my opinion.  That will tell you what driver
>> it is using for what device.  If it works while booted on the Live CD,
>> then that driver is most likely what you need.  Take the name of the
>> driver, then search for it in menuconfig.  You hit the "/" key to
>> search.  Its like the ? key without hitting shift.  It should show you
>> exactly where the driver is located so you can go enable it.  Then you
>> just recompile the kernel and copy it to /boot.
>>
>> This is what the output should look like:
>>
>> 01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10
>> MBit (rev 31)
>>         Subsystem: ARCHTEK TELECOM Corp Device 0008
>>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
>>         I/O ports at 9800 [size=256]
>>         Memory at df002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>>         [virtual] Expansion ROM at 88100000 [disabled] [size=256K]
>>         Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 1
>>         Kernel driver in use: dmfe
>>

>> The last line is the key.  If I were searching for that driver, I would
>> search for dmfe and enable it as built in or a module.
>>
>> If that command doesn't show the driver, then you may need to start with
>> some of the other commands to see what you can test to get it working.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I booted up the livecd and ran lspci -v, it worked great. I got
> similar output to that above, and found out that I am using a "3Com
> Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)" and that "Kernel driver
> in use: 3c59x". Great! Only problem was that when I went to look for
> that driver in menuconfig, all I found were two other drivers for
> similar cards (one of which had "[Typhoon]" in the name).
>
> However, I enabled those drivers, recompiled, rebooted, and everything
> works great. Thanks for all your help.
>
> By the way, I have never had such great technical support before. I am
> really amazed that within 12 hours, I had about 3 different ways of
> fixing this, and was able to have it up and running within 45 minutes
> of checking my email this morning. Wonderful!
>
> Marcus

Now I'm confused.  I did a search here as well and it returned nothing
matching that driver.  This is a first for me.  Has anyone else ever
searched for a driver when you have the exact name and not get a match
when the driver is actually there?  I did a manual search and the driver
is there.

Glad you got the network working tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)