On Nov 10, 2009, at 4:21 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 11:46:50 Roy Wright wrote:
One of the issues I hit is that python-3.1.1-r1 can not be installed
with the tk use flag due to cyclic dependencies when installing xorg
(portage insists on installing python before libX11 so python[tk]
fails as it is missing Xlib.h).

Would this work?

emerge python with USE=-tk
install libX11
install python with USE=tk

What I did was set python -tk in package.use then finished installing xorg-server, then removed the python -tk from package.use and emerge updated. That worked fine so your example should also work fine.

Thank you,
Roy