On Wednesday 25 November 2009 19:20:43 Chuck Robey wrote:
> I need to get an up-to-date version of eclipse working on my gentoo
>  box.  First question is, is there a Galileo (3.5+) version of eclipse
>  available as a portage package?  I can't find it, so I'd really appreciate
>  a pointer.  The only thing I can see is a fairly old eclipse version (I
>  think a year or more out of date).
>
> Second question, at the eclipse website, I see a binary version of the
>  latest Linux-eclipse (the version I'm after).  If I *can't* get a portage
>  package version of Galileo-eclipse, then if I install the binary package
>  (non-portage) from the eclipse website, can I get (and how can I get)
>  portage to consider this package as supplying any dependency which would
>  be otherwise supplied by the latest (ganymede, 3.4+) portage version of
>  the eclipse tool

Have you considered simply installing the binary eclipse into ~ and
maintaining it using the bundled eclipse tools? This removes portage out of
the equation entirely - no fooling around with *provided

That is the method used by most Linux users and it's highly unlikely it won't
work - gentoo doesn't do weird things with where libs etc are stored.

Plus, you have the advantage of being to install plugins directly from eclipse
without having to become root and run emerge. It the same order of magnitude
as using Firefox to install it's own plugins.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com