Chuck Robey schrieb:
> I was checking to see what version of eclipse seems to have a portage package,
> and I was kinda shocked that the package seems a bit outdated.  3.4 is the
> current portage package, but eclipse has been at 3.5 for a good while now.
> Seeing as the eclipse website has a linux binary 3.5+ package, unless I've
> overlooked something available from gentoo (I would be overjoyed to have made
> that mistake) then I'm going to be forced to see how to coax portage to allow
> me
> to use that eclipse site binary package to sub for ALL eclipse packages.
>
> Anyone know how to get portage to make externally supplied binaries to supply
> portage eclipse dependencies?  All of the huge number of eclipse plugins can
> be
> done without using portage just fine, but the eclipse itself, that I would
> really rather use a portage ebuild for installation.

While I totally buy into the whole package managing and distribution
system and consider it the best thing since sliced bread, I suggest you
make an exception for eclipse.

The problem is that eclipse contains its own package management for its
plugins. This doesn't work very well with a global installation in /opt
or /usr where a normal user should not have write rights.

It is much better to have every user download and install eclipse into
their home-directories. This has the advantage that every user can
contain its own set of plugins and extensions.

I personally have several versions of eclipse installed: One for J2EE
and a much leaner version for C++. Having one version with all plugins
would make eclipse unbearably slow.

Hope this helps
Florian Philipp