On Saturday 28 November 2009 13:59:38 Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> as alternative simply append to all kde-base/* packages in world :4.3
> >> and do then a depclean ;-)
> >
> > Which promptly defeats the ENTIRE purpose of a world file and -meta
> > packages.
>
> a) I've never used the meta packages, but selected my KDE apps on purpose

You missed the part where the user clearly states earlier that he DOES use
-meta packages. With that in mind, any advice you give should be aligned to
the fact that he is a -meta user

> b) it's a lot easier this way to get rid of the KDE 3 stuff, however you
> should get drop of the slot again after depclean has been finished

How is it easier? You have to maintain the SLOTs in world yourself because the
instant you do that portage will not automagically offer to upgrade anymore
(upgrades within the same slot excepted). And --depclean will NOT adjust your
SLOTs in world when it's finished. I can't really make sense of your last
sentence but that is what you seem to imply

> > If that's how you want to admin your box,
>
> I am using long enough Gentoo that I remember very well the times when
> portage destroyed the world file completely.

That was long ago and no longer applicable. That bug in portage got fixed, so
a behaviour on your part to compensate for a bug that is not there is outdated
behaviour.

> And regenworld put *anything*
> into world at that time. Therefore I know very well, what should be in this
> file and what not. There's no magic.

Yes, the only things in world are packages you want that are not dependencies
of something else already in world. You are advising the user to put the
dependencies of -meta packages into world when the -meta package is already
there.

And that is plain silly

> > can I recommend you switch to
> > sabayon instead?
>
> ROFL! So, you mean, if users get too smart, Gentoo is no longer their
> distribution? Don't be silly.

Erm, you should read the whole thread and realise the bits you missed - the
bits that make your statements nonsensical

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com